Wednesday, July 21, 2010

hours of my day

I spend several hours of my day at work blogging (like now) or checking my email or reading Peace Corps Blogs and checking my placement status for updates (there aren't ever any). Working at the front desk is slow- and I hate being idle. I'm getting paid to do nothing- I ask what I can do and my boss says nothing really, or gives me 1 minute easy tasks. I'm reading a very powerful blog of one woman's experience in Nambia. http://africanspirit.blogspot.com/
Her life sounds so tough- working with households where the head of house is sometimes only 10 years old and is completing all the duties of an adult- finding food for the younger children, cooking, cleaning , clothing the children. She is making a big difference in their lives. They are like the children in the book I've been reading, the Lost Boys of Sudan- the book is called They Poured Fire on Us from the Sky and I definitely recommend it.

Peace Out

1 comment:

  1. Peace in. I was thinking about writing something related to grad work and "idle time", but I think instead, I'll just say "hang in there."

    ReplyDelete