Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 2

Really Day 1 I guess, it was my first day of paid work as a ranger. For the next few weeks I am going to be doing trail and maintenance work and after a few weeks i'll switch over to office and education program work. I'm going to learn some badass skillz!!! Chainsaw skillz... tractor drivin' skillz... fixin stuff skillz... trail building skillz who knows what else!

I spent the morning goofin' around with the park rangers and park hosts- I was supposed to be doing paperwork but Maria was busy so I just chatted up the other rangers for a few hours. Jeff brought in some damn good pound cake. The hosts and all the rangers are very nice, knowledgeable people who like to laugh and talk trash about the new computer system which will (apparently) bring doom to us all. I spent the rest of the day drivin around the park in a truck with a Park Ranger II named Pete who I am going to be helping out. He's a cool, younger guy and he showed me all the sites and all the day to day activities that are done around the park- patrolling, checking water sanitation, checking camp sites building trails and things. We looked for arrow heads out in the creek bed across from the park- found some cool pieces of flint but no arrow heads yet.

Shout out to the public library system! Holla! Went to town today to use the wireless at a coffee shop I saw coming in, but it closed at 3pm, apparently everything closes at 3pm in Ft. Davis- except the library which is open until 6. I went in at 5:50 and they were so nice, they let me in and set me up with a library card and helped me check out a dvd- really really nice people there.

Animals I saw today:
Mule deer, tarantula, squirrels.

I guess thats it for now.

2 comments:

  1. New computer system == ultimate doom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just picture you riding a tractor, fixing a chainsaw, eating pound cake, and blazing a trail at the same time.

    ReplyDelete