Thursday, June 17, 2010

Days 10 & 11

I sat down to write this post outside so I could watch the bats and the fireflies and see the stars... but then I also saw a huge striped bark scorpion right next to me and decided it was prettier inside the lodge. Today was a day of listening to old timers tell their stories. Thats seriously the best part about this job, listening to all the old ranch tales and whatnot. An older man named Bounce talked to Jason and I for a long while today, telling us his bobcat and mountainlion and bear and rattlesnake stories. Weedeated some more today- I'm getting pretty good at it. Talked with Jason all day long as we worked. I was helping Sandy and Jeff finish up at the front desk and they sent me to tell Park Host 1 (Virginia and Mr. Gill) something- I didn't come out of their r.v. for 4 hours til nearly 9 o'clock at night. We just got to talkin' (They are an older couple in their late 60's maybe) and lost track of time. They really are a fun couple of people- they've traveled alot and have a lot more traveling they're still going to do. Its fun to hang out with people of a different group than I'm used to...usually its just me chillin with other college aged folks- but now days I hang out with are older couples like the Gills or my co-workers who are all young men raising families. I just went outside again to try to make a phone call... battled a raccoon and lost and had to retreat back inside.
Yesterday they sprayed my house with chemicals to kill all the bugs. I may die five years early from a pesticide induced cancer but at least I won't have bugs flying on my face while I'm sleeping or wind scorpions on my pillow. Peace Out- gonna go for a late night swim.

1 comment:

  1. no more creepy crawlies on the sleeping body?? sounds like i should head out there soon.

    ReplyDelete